TEMPO STILL FAILS EMISSIONS TEST

1992 All Other Makes

No, I didn't check any trouble codes yet. But, I have a 1992 tempo 4cyl. Just decided to go take it in the way it was to see if the emission test would pass or fail. To no surprise it failed.
Car has 103,000 miles. After the emission test, went to NAPA and got a new EGR valve, O2 sensor, new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, pcv valve, breather cap, replaced the vacuum line from the EGR valve as it was dryrotted. Checked all other vacuum lines and fittings for cracks, none found.
There is a smell of gas from the engine compartment yet no obvious wetness showing on fuel lines or around intake area. And AWFUL gas mileage. 13 mpg right now.
Engine light was reset, but came back on when at idle, give it a rev for a bit, light goes out. Then does this intermittent thing and eventually stays on for a long time. Then goes out for no reason even at idle. Just not a consistent pattern to figure if it's low rpm related or higher rpm related.
Still failed emissions test.

Anyone have any clue as to how I can fix this thing to pass the test other than selling this car. It runs fine though, and that's what's so odd. No rough idling, nice smooth acceleration and deceleration, no sputtering, pinging, knocking, none of that. Just this darned light and failing emmisions. BTW. Test says HCL is WAY too high, and CO levels are way out of range for this car. Any suggestions? I've spent $260 already on parts for this thing. Illinois requires at least $400 be spent before a waiver is even considered. I'm hoping that seeing the majority of things have been swapped that it should be a lot simpler now, but have no idea as to what it could be.

Thanks for any help.
Chitownmgs