4RUNNER ENGINE HESITATION

1990 All Other Makes

I HAVE A 1990 4RUNNER, 4 CYLINDER, [4Y ENGINE]
5 SPEED 146,000 KILOMETERS

IT HAS A BAD HESITATION, I HAVE CLEANED AND REBUILT THE CARB, CHECKED VACCUM LINES, SET TIMING, DONE THE TUNEUP, ETC. IT BACKFIRES WHEN I GO DOWN HILL UNLESS THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED, I GET RUN ON WHEN I SHUT IT OFF AFTER I USE THE AC, TO CLIMB UP THE MOUNTAIN I HAVE TO USE 1ST AND 2ND GEARS THE TIMING CHAIN HAS NOT BEEN CHANGED, COULD THAST BE THE PROBLEM?

I BOUGHT THE CAR HERE IN COSTA RICA, I WAS TOLD IN THE USA THAT THE ENGINE IS A EUROPEAN VERSION AND THERE ARE NO PARTS OR REPAIR MANUALS IN THE USA.
THE MECHANICS HERE IN COSTA RICA CANNOT FIND THE PROBLEM, ALTHOUGH TO FIND A GOOD MECANIC IS NOT EASY,
PLEASE HELP ME OUT, I AM FEMALE WHICH MEANS THE MECHANICS KEEP CHARGING ME $$$ AND NOT FIXING THE PROBLEM

I AM GETTING WORRIED THAT I WILL GET STRANDED ON THEW ROAD HERE

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
JUD
JUD