IDLING ISSUE 93

1993 Acura Integra

I have a 1993 Integra with 127k miles with automatic transmission. The car drives fine when I’m moving. When I come to a stop the engine begins idling very low and sort of ‘chugging’ and missing like it’s not getting enough fuel. The engine will die. Of course it’s even worse with the AC turned on. I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. It doesn’t happen all the time but I would say it happens at least 75% of the time. It’s even worse when I shift the car in reverse & back-up and then shift to forward. It will almost always start missing & die. The transmission seems to shift smoothly both driving forward and when I back-up. I took the car to an Acura dealer 3 times in a 2 week period to diagnosis & fix the problem. They can’t seem to figure it out. Every time I take it to them I end up paying many hundreds of dollars/thousands for parts & labor which hasn’t fixed the problem and for part/labor I probably didn’t need. I’ve lost confidence in their ability. I’ve had an induction service performed, idle valve control assembly replaced, air control valve cleaned along with many other parts cleaned & blown out. The last time I was told that the torque converter was intermittently locking up and needed to be replaced. I had the converter replaced expecting the problem to be solved but it’s as bad & maybe worse than before. Help.
Durango87

What is the idle rpm when the vehicle is sitting in neutral? What I am wondering is if time and vibration have loosened the idle screw on the throttle body?

Bruce Hunt
The rpm's generally run around 550-600. But I have noticed that when it starts acting erratic the rpm's fluctuate between about 1200 & 250-300. And then stays in the 250 range. At that time of course the engine starts 'chugging' & will die unless I press on the gas.

Durango87
Are you telling me that your engine surges, ie goes up and down in rpm or is it regular. Have you considered raising the idle speed? Raising the idle speed is simple by adjusting the screw on the throttle body.

Bruce Hunt