TRANSMISSION TAKES A LONG TIME TO DOWNSH

1998 Acura Integra

1998 Acura Integra 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

If I try to gain speed up a steep hill, after I get to the top of the hill it takes sometimes one to two-tenths of a mile for my trans to downshift. Even if I let off the gas, my speed drops but my rpms stay at around 4000, and when it finally does downshift, its rough as hell. Any thoughts?
Thexrocks979

Hi thexrocks979,

Thank you for the donation.

Get a free scan done at Autozone and let me know the exact trouble codes if any found.

Is the Check Engine Light showing while driving?

Autozone scan didn't show any codes, and the check engine light blinks for about 10 or 15 seconds when I turn the car on but then it stops.

Thexrocks979
Have you replaced the transmission fluid since owning the car? If you havnt, then you should have the transmission fluid exchange that will definately help your wonderful B18b w/100k+ miles.

Sometimes all you might need is just a simple fluid exchange, keep in mind that a transmission isnt the cheapest thing to repair/service neither so remeber change all the vital fluids at regular intervals its cheap insurance in the long run.

If after changing tranny fluid you are still experience rough down shifts or staggered shifts you should bring your car to a local transmission repair shop and have them take a look.

Hopefully its just fluid, or a part or 2 needing to be replace in the gear box.

JimmyL645i
If the CEL blinks without any trouble codes, you could have a fauty PGM-FI main relay or PCM.

Since the scanner did not show any codes, do it the manual way and see if you get any. I have sent the procedures to you.