BRAKES MUSHEY WHEN HOT...

1995 Acura Integra

Brakes problem
1995 Acura Integra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 120000 miles

When I first start the car the brakes are solid. After driving for maybe a half an hour depending on how many starts and stops and the outside air temperature the brakes get mushy. The pedal's initial travel will be more and the pedal will drift down from there. The pedal doesn't reach the floor but it's way too low. Pumping it brings it back up. This all started after I had some work done that involved replacing part of one brake line that ran to a rear brake. I'm not loosing any brake fluid and I've bleed both rear brakes but the problem has come back. I'd rather not bring the car back since the work was some of the sloppiest work I've ever seen and I've brought it back once already to fix other problems with the work that was done.
Joe123abc

Hi Joe123abc,

Thank you for the donation.

I would suggegest checkign all the brake calipers for inding of the slider bolts. Tell tale signs would be unequal wear pd brake pads.

The front and rear brakes runs diagonally so if you perform any bleeding, it should be done with front left and rear right, front right and rear left. Bleeding the rea brakes alone might not be sufficient.

Is vehicle equipped with ABS?

The car has ABS. Or, maybe I should say, had ABS. It hasn't worked for over a year.

As a separate question I'd like to just be able to permanently disable it including turning off the dash light. (I'm using black tape.) From what I understand from the service manual, not having it work is the same as never having it at all.

Do you see a connection between ABS and mushy brakes?

Joe123abc
Yes, when the ABS accumulator is not used it would cause problem over time. Brakes can bind or fail so it is not advisable to keep the accumulator if it is faulty.

You need to either replace the accumulator unit or remove it.