A FEW QUESTIONS FOR AN OLD CAR.

1994 Honda Accord • 90,000 miles

Okay I have a few questions.
I have a 1994 Honda Accord LE

1.)My car wouldn't start until I tapped the terminals on the battery and the battery light would light up. I bought a new battery because the tester said it was dead. My car now has trouble getting started again and the battery light will come on for a few seconds.I was told it could either be a starter or alternator problem. Any ideas how to find this out?

2.)I've had my car since March 2013, and noticed that the speedometer stopped working. Then for a month it worked perfectly after I got new tires. Now it is back to not working again. It's been like this for about a month. It'll try sometimes but the stick that points to the number will wiggle like it isn't getting enough power to stay and then will fall back to zero. I don't know what would be wrong with it.

3.)My car will also take longer (than I think it should) to switch gears(?). I drive in D4 or overdrive because it drives better that way. But the noise you hear when it switches gears lasts a few seconds (I know, only seconds) longer than it feels like it should. (This would be the part where I would say it sounds like "errrrn urrrnnn" with it getting louder and then softer if we were talking face to face haha). But my question is, is that fine? Is it okay for it to take a bit longer to switch? I feel like I should throw the word 'transmission' in there somewhere.

Obviously I have no idea what goes on under the hood. Please help haha.

Thank you!
~Brittany

Cool92

Tapping the terminals for the lights to come on means the terminals are most likely not clean and well secured.

The speedometer working intermittently is usually caused by a bad vehicle speed sensor located on top ot transaxle, under the thermostat.

Slow to up shift are mostly caused by improper transmission throttle cable adjustment.