A/C GOES OUT WHEN HOT OUTSIDE

1998 Mazda Protege • 165,000 miles

I just got car, I realized that the alt cooling fan was not working, I replaced it then the clutch did the clicking turning off & on like it was low on r134a I had it evacuated, vacuum, recharged and drier replaced . That work except when it gets hot outside or so it seems the ac clutch won't engage, I check to see if getting power through the wires on the clutch that I was able to get bare copper and didn't get a reading with my Volt meter. I live in Phoenix Az and it gets to about 100 degrees in the morning/ evening when cooler ac comes on, but during the day ac quits. What could be happening?
Play0027

Check all your fuses and then check what I've pointed out in drawing. See If voltage is going to both sides of these. Also make sure you rcondensor fan works because it may cause the a/c not to work as well.

Could the condenser be going out

Play0027
No but if the fan doesn't cool it it screws up the amount of cooling you get in the car. If it was just checked it's more of a fan problem or something similar like the thermal switch as well.

The fan works. Let me check what you sent me.

Play0027
Feel the smallline going to the heater box and see if it is icing up it may have what is called freeze up if it is it ahs to be reevacuated and recharged again. But you shouldn't have that if the system was charged and evaced and drier replaced. Other than that have a pro look at it. Unfortunately the things that I 've pointed out wilonly screw up when your air quits.

So there is no way it could be a condenser that fails is getting too hot because the high side is not working so the thermal switch turns the system off as a safety so it doesnt ruin the whole ac system.

Play0027
I fthe ocndensor was bad it woldhave shown that on pump down when you had it fixed. Have apro relook at it to see what is happening. The thermal switch will shut off compressor if pressure is to high to save the system. Or the low pressure switch isn't working which will not let compressor run either.

I did all the repairs listed above because I can't seek help from ac specialist at the moment what would the car have displayed during the pump down that would tell me the condenser is bad? What are the tell tale symptoms. Something is ocurring that has to do with how hot it is out side only. Allowing it to run at less than 100 degrees f what would that be if the condenser is malfunctioning then it becomes hot right and thermal switch shuts down compressor right? I need to know so I can fix it

Play0027
I don't know why you keep thinking the condenser is bad, if you think It is then replace it I can't fix it for you as you have given me very little info an dkeepon the same subject without checking what I've suggested. Nor given any replies as to what has happened checking things other than a fuse. I can' offer no other suggestions.

I gave you lots of information but you chose to not to read even after I told you I replaced the fan before you told me to do that if you would have read you wouldnt have suggested it. I did everything you said everything is operating as it should. I don't find you helpful at the moment. You can just tell. Me if it is or isnt the condenser or anything else instead you tell me to replace a fan that I told you I already replaced. I'm unsatisfied and you seem annoyed for no reason its just a question no reason to be upset. Who else can answer my question because its unfair that I get paired with someone unwillling to read the information and not siggest what's already been done without getting annoyed. There's not a willingness to help

Play0027
Page 1 of 2