CAR/KEY DASHBOARD LIGHT.

97 Mazda MX3 • 100,000 miles

Alternator belt snapped, not a big problem as had got new battery in about a week previos so thought it would be fine for a few days until I got mechanic to replace belt. However on third night parked it up and next morning went to start and not enough power to start. Car sat for about a week until mechanic called, he replaced both the alt belt and power steering belt but when tried to jump start it would start for about 5 seconds then die out, a dashboard light of a car and a key sign show up after this. He has checked all fuel lines and pumps and all seems fine. He is wondering if its thrown off some immobiliser or timer from having no power for a week. Strange thing is it was driving fine the night before it wouldnt start.
Jmchale07

If the car symbol came on while it was running sounds like a check engine light I would check for codes. The key symbol is a antitheft and thats probably why it wont start. The guy working on your car should know these things I would hope. Is this a actual repair shop?Doesnt sound like he is a very good repair guy. The injector pluse has probably been disabled when the key symbol came on. Have him check for codes on all the computers not just the engine and transmission. Also post the exact numbers of the codes. Also ask him to see if the engine has injector pluse to the injectors.

I also dont see a mx3 model listed for 1997 are you sure that is the correct year and model.