96 DIES WHEN IT COMES TO TEMP AND WONT START FOR A WHILE THEN FINE REST OF DAY

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 211,000 miles

96 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 2wd with 211k miles. Since buying this vehicle a few months ago it has died on me about once a day when it gets up to temp. It wont start again from a few seconds to 10 mins or more. Then it will run fine until it gets cold again. It dies like it had the key turned off, just instant off. Sometimes it sounds like its dieseling after the engine cuts out before it dies out completely. Will do it at high rpms but mostly happens when coming to a stop or at a stoplight while idling. Usually has a window of this happening, anywhere from it happening once and being fine for rest of day(with generally no more than 2 hours being turned off) to it both not starting and starting and dying a few seconds later for about ten minutes or more. Had a code for bad coil. Replaced it, still have problem, and seems to have gotten worse since changing coil or due to lower outside temps happening at same time. Mechanics were saying the coil that was replaced wasn't getting a spark while it wasn't starting. They want to try crank position sensor next. But after hearing them wondering what was wrong without a code, I lost my faith in their diagnosing skills. It has also started backfiring lately, just a couple times.
Lance71

When it won't start, have you checked for spark and fuel to the engine?

No spark to coil that was replaced. Gets fuel.

Lance71
The crank sensor could be an issue. However, it becomes a guessing game without the CEL.