HYUNDAI AZERA ENGINE PROBLEM

2012 Hyundai Azera • 7,000 miles

Sunday the dealer was closed so went to jiffylube for an oil change and upon completion the car was giving me a red oil level light ONLY under braking and when idling at a red light. Under accel and constant cruise throttle setting the light goes out for all speeds. I checked the level with engine warm and off and it was exactly to the FULL dot on dipstick. Around 10 more minutes of driving the check engine light came constant on, even when red oil lamp light extinguished. I went back to jiffylube and asked what has happened. They pulled the code as P0014 (Camshaft Deviation Too High). Potential causes are
- Low engine oil level
- Dirty engine oil
- Incorrect timing
- Engine mechanical problems
- Faulty actuator

This is practically a new car still and has a timing chain in the engine (one of the selling points on the engine) so I severely doubt its anything but the first or last causes listed. After pulling the code, the dude at jiffylube reset my engine's computer so the light wouldnt stay, but within 10 minutes of highway cruising at 70 mph it came back on.

Im writing to see if my suspicions are correct. For the oil light coming on only under braking I assume the oil level is in fact slightly low because it may slosh forward in the pan under braking and leave the pickup pump only with air to grab at, so pressure goes way down causing the light to suddenly come on. And as listed above, the P0014 code could be a result of this low oil level. Another reason I believe it is low oil level is that when I bought the car, the oil level on dipstick was about a half inch over the FULL dot on the dipstick. I suspected neglect on the dealer's part and was worried about potential for a blown seal or oil overpressure but when I got the oil changed at dealer at 3500 miles it was once again filled to that same level (engine warm and turned off). So is this whole deal solved with just adding oil slowly until it reaches the level the dealer had it at?

Seems within reason to me.

Dr. Hagerty
Tyr replacing the oil filter first, it could be what the code says but alot of times there are crappy filters out there, try a purolatorl, wix or napa gold an dadd oil to fll see if that cures it.

With that said, I would let the dealer know what is going on straightaway

Dr. Hagerty
And ya let the dealer know like doc says, there may be somekind of tsb out on this

Tonight, I had a very similar issue with my nearly new 2012 Azera with 2,500 miles. I had my mechanic change the oil to be on the safe side since the car just hit 2,500 miles. About 5 minutes after leaving, the oil light turned on at a stop light. It then went off as I began to drive and then later reappeared intermittently during my 5 minute drive. I pulled into a gas station and the oil level checked out full (slightly above the Full mark). The service engine light came on during my drive home. I am going to take the car back in the am and see what is going on. Very strange. They used a non-oem filter with a synthetic blend oil.

Bradley j
Update - turned out to be a bad oil filter in my case. Swapped it out and fixed the issue.

Bradley j