WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WHEN A CAR RUNS BACK DOWN A HILL WHEN IN DRIVE?

2011 Suzuki Swift

I was at the top of a hill my automatic car was in drive position but the car ran back instead of stalling or proceeding to climb the hill. What could the problem be?
Shawntelleperch

Just at idle or when you try to move?

Both and when I pressed on the gas it hesitated first

Shawntelleperch
If the slope is too steep putting in drive would not stop the vehicle from sliding backwards.
The other thing to consider would be the idling speed. Low idling speed would not provide sufficient pull from the transmission.

Hesitation during acceleration under such conditions indicates you possibly have the idling speed too low.

Ok so it wouldn't be a transmission problem? Cause I did the same thing with a Nissan Almera and it didn't run back

Shawntelleperch
No, it is not. This is normal for some vehicles and as I mentioned, the gradient of the slope and engine idling speed has to be taken into consideration.

Your vehicle is still rather new so you should get the dealer to check the idling speed.

You did not list down the mileage on your vehicle and if it is anything more than 30k miles, there is a possibility the idle control system needs some cleaning up.

Ok well do thanks a lot

Shawntelleperch
You're welcome.