HI THERE-I BOUGHT A -IN GREAT SHAPE, REGULAR MAINTENANCE TAKEN CARE OF 55210 MILES ON IT. I AM DUE FOR AN OIL CHANGE, HOWEVER THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (YELLOW LIGHT SHAPED LIKE AN ENGINE) IS ON STEADY (NOT BLINKING) NOW THAT I DRIVE THE CAR

2010 Ford Fusion • 55,210 miles

Car is up for an oil change and the check engine light is now illuminated (steady, not flashing) coincidence or issue I should be concerned?
Brock2012

Many things can cause the check engine light to come on. What to do is have the computer scanned to identify if there is a trouble codes stored in the computer. Most parts stores will do it for free. Then you will know what set the light.

If you have questions, ask the parts store to write down the code and tell me what it is. I can give you a better idea if there is a problem or not.

Thank you so much! I just found out it was due for a 54000 mi checkup-and now that the oil is due (hit 0% life yesterday) that it may just be the default for service. I scheduled an appointment online at a ford dealer. Since I need the oil change anyway, I'll have them run diangostics anyway. I'll get any issue codes and post-thanks for the quick response! You rock!

Brock2012
Glad to help. And yes, the oil life will set the light to let you know it needs changed. Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,

Hey Joe-so are you saying that the check engine light (which almost gave me a mild heart attack) would be triggered once an oil change and/or recommended service was required? WTF lol

Brock2012
Many of them are. Relax, if the car is still running good, I feel confident it isn't anything to worry about.

Hey Joe-u were right-nothing major. Had the oil changed, tires rotated and 54K maint. Done. The code came back that it was the EVAP control system leak and the tech believes it was the(gas cap cover)Since this is the Ford Fusion Flex Fuel hybrid it doesn't have a gas cap, it's a 'capless' tank. He reset it, and it didn't come back on the drive home-he said if it does, take it to ford for them to look at!

Brock2012
That is good news. If anything needs repaired with the EVAP system, it is part of the emissions system and falls under that warranty. I believe it is a 5year/50K warranty with 0 deductable. I realize you are slightly over that, but if you argue with them, they will cover it.

Good luck, and we'll be here if you have questions.

Thanks Joe! I bought the extended warranty (the car was used when I got it) so I bought the 3 year bumper 2 bumper extended Ford coverage (just in case!) Thanks for the piece of mind tho!

Brock2012
You're welcome. Take care and let us know if you run into any trouble.