NO SPARK

2009 Mitsubishi Galant • 60,000 miles

Followed your video for checking for spark. All fuses are good, have 12 volts at coil when ignition switch is on. OBD II scanner indicated no codes present. I have engine compression, confirmed this after removing spark plug. Fuel pump is working I can hear it when ignition switch is turned on. Can I have an ECM problem with the scanner showing no codes, The scan tool is talking to the ECM and showing no codes.
Tgarnto

If you have 12V at the coils, the most likely failure is with the coils. You can also check the spark plug wires for resistance/impendance. This is meaured in Ohms/Foot. The rule of thumb is less than 10,000 Ohms per Foot. However, I think that is the service limit and would look for much less than that.
To clarify, a 2 foot spark plug cable should test 20,000 Ohms and no higher.
If you are not getting spark at the spark plug, the coild pack is probably bad, since it is getting 12V, which leaves only the plug wires and plugs. You can check for spark at the plug by putting th e spark plug in its boot and sitting it somewhere on the block where the threads of the plugs touch meatl. That is to ground out the plug. Have someone turn it over while you watch the gap for a good blue spark. DO NOT HOLD THE PLUG WHILE DOING THIS IT WILL SHOCK YOU.

This engine has 4 separate coils, I can't see all four coils going bad at the same time. I tested the coil separate from the plug and didn't get spark to my test light. The voltage at the coil is at the pin on the right, while cranking engine I would suspect to find the voltage at one of the other two pins and that's not happening. Should get a diagnostic code for bad coils, but getting 0 codes on the scanner.

Tgarnto
The coils do fire corresponding to camshaft and crankshaft position sensors fo timing.
Here is a Transistor test. I gave you the 2.4L. Let me know if you have the other engine and I will get it for you.

Thanks, that was great info, I tested the coils with the 9 volt battery and they tested good. I will look at the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. I did some diode checks on them and they seamed to have good readings.

Tgarnto
Double check the timing, if I have not mentioned it, worn out timing belts and pulleys can sometimes jump a tooth.

Timing belt was fine, my daughter's transponder in her key was bad and that was pretty expensive at the dealer, but didn't have a choice. Don't have the tools to program keys into the ECU.

Tgarnto
You can get the keys for cheap on EBAY or other places, it is the flash programming at the dealership where they stick it to you.
It is proprietary so even if someone invented the tool to do it, owbership rights would not allow for it.
It would be, "Black Market" keys.