VOLVO XC70 NOISE PROBLEM

2008 Volvo XC70 • 63,000 miles

I have a intermittent rattle noise when I accelerate. It only happens in low gears. What could be the problem?
Jordanzmom

Would you provide more info as to origin of noise? Recent repairs?

Docfixit
We bought it used in Sept. '11 so I'm not sure of repairs, although I did have an auto tech look at it (I was out of town and unsure of driving it home). He took tires off and checked rotars, brakes, bearings, etc. And deemed it was not something with the engine. It sounds as if it's in the front like a piece of metal is going around or a bearing. It stopped making the rattling sound a few days ago and then started up again. Car makes the sound around corners, and when accelerating but only until I get to 50 mps, it kind of shimmies then is done with sound. Very strange.

Jordanzmom
Where CV joints checked and found good?

Docfixit
He did not look inside them, thought they did not look worn. Do they typically wear out around 60K miles?

Jordanzmom
Usually last longer need to be checked for excessive movement. Does noise happen in reverse? Check inner CV closly

Docfixit
No, it does not happen in reverse. It will definitely go to mechanic for cv check. Thank you so much for your time!

Jordanzmom
Keep me posted

Docfixit
The problem was the drive shaft. Had to be replaced (expensive on the volvo). Thanks again for your help!

Jordanzmom