VOLVO XC70 AXLE PROBLEM

2008 Volvo XC70 • 65,000 miles

I have a bad bearing in the right front axle. The axle assembly is over $600 but I can replace the bearing for $145. Problem is when I went to order the bearing I was told that Volvo has a special tool for this particular bearing to be removed and replaced. Is this tool really required or can the bearing be properly replaced using typical methods for pulling and pressing bearings? The volvo part number for the axle is 36001190 and the bearing alone is 9181693. Thanks, Robert

Can you describe that tool or what it is needed for? The bearing assembly looks identical to those on Chrysler products. It is not a press-fit; it's a simple bolt-on procedure that should take about half an hour, at least that's what it takes me to do the Chrysler ones.

The spindle needs to be removed to press out the bearing and press it back in. You may want to check with a machine shop to see if they can do it for you.

JIS001
Here's a photo of the bolt-on bearing assembly from Rock Auto. They list three different engines and do not list or show the bearing for two of them. This is for the 3.2L 6-cylinder.