I HAVE A 58 PLATE MANUAL , I HAVE JUST SELECTED REVERSE GEAR AND HEARD A CLICK NOISE, NOW I CAN SELECT REVERSE WITHOUT PRESSING BUTTON

2008 Vauxhall Zafira • 32,000 miles

I have a 58 plate manual vauxhall zafira, I have just selected reverse gear and heard a click noise, now I can select reverse without pressing button in on gear stick so when I select first gear it will move over to select reverse because there is no 'STOP', your help will be much appreciated, thanks
Robert511

The reverse lockout is broken. It is a safety mechanism to keep you from shifting into reverse while moving forward. I think you should take it by a tranmsission stop. Don't take it to a regular repair facility as transmissions require a lot of expertise and special tools. AAMCO is overpriced. If you need help finding one the search engine on this site will find one near you. Just ype in the search term and look at the ads on the page.