FRONT INSTRUMENT PANEL ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

2008 Subaru Outback • 100,000 miles

I have a 2008 Subaru Outback with just over 100k miles. For the past year or so, the instrument panel that controls the radio/cd and climate has had intermittent power problems. Symptoms are flashing displays, self adjusting volume and buttons that won't respond when pressed. Any thoughts on the cause?
Powderhound

Could be bad internal solder joints or the connectors are not making good contact. Try scouring internet for similar problems.

Fixitmr
Thanks for the response. I found a few other comparable issues, but no real solutions. Only one mentioned problem resolution by replacing the center stack screens, but I don't know who suggested that, so I'm not sure its a viable solution.

Powderhound
If the clock, temp etc screen is playing up & only showing sometimes it is due to faulty solder joints on the printed circuit board especially at resistors.
To access the unit Lever the vent panel gently from the dash board with a screwdriver, unclip the 2 wire
bundles & on a bench take out the display panel & take it apart being careful to keep the buttons in the vent frame. Pull the clock unit apart & access the printed circuit board. Re-solder the joints using good flued solder & use separate flux if necessary. It is difficult to make good joints to the PCB. Re-assemble & test in car by plugging in cables before fixing vent panel back in dash. Some companies provide this service Google car digital clock not working. Alternatively buy a new or second hand vent unit.

Ralphmackie