FORD TAURUS WHEEL PROBLEM

2008 Ford Taurus • 82,000 miles

About a year ago I jumped my motocycle with my Taurus. Ever since, the AC unit has had problems. I can no longer switch the air flow to anything other than the main dashboard vents. I can't divert the air to the floor or the defroster. In addition, I also hear a clicking sound directly behind the steering wheel. I'm sure these two are related. Everything else works fine. The AC and heat are both cold and hot, as they should be.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Davidashby

First, never, never use your car to jump anything. Computers hate voltage spikes and the results of helping cost you money.

Is this automatic or manual ac controls?

It has Automatic climate control.

Davidashby
The part that seems to be making the clicking noise is right behind the steering wheel under the dashboard. From underneath the steering wheel I was able to snap this picture. If I disconnect the cable pointed to in this picture the clicking sound stops.

Davidashby
It looks as though you have an issue with the hvac controller assembly.

You need to see if there are any codes in the system go to a parts store and tell them you need the codes from the hvac system. They do it for free

The location you are pointing to looks like the transmission gear indicator cable. The plastic braket goes around the sterring wheel and "pulls" the indicator to the proper gear indicator (P, R, N, O, D, 1, 2). The cable or bracket may be binding on a part of the sterring wheel. (Make sure you disconnect the battery and WAIT ten minutes for the capacitors in the Air Bag system (squibs) to discharge before working behind the steering wheel.

BUT! If I did know any better, I would say that the blend door on your A/C may be bad. It sounds as if it is coming from behind the steering wheel, but you get NO AIR.
The blend door is located behind the radio towards the glove compartment.

If all you did was connect to your battery when performing the jump, (I do not recommend that from car to motorcycle) Then likely you have bad timing. If you place the negative lead somewhere on the car, you may have shorted something out.
Check the blend door.

Robertdebeaux