WHY IS MY CAR RATTILING AND MAKING A WINDING/REVING SOUND WHEN I PRESS THE GAS?

2008 Chrysler Sebring • 90,000 miles

My car starts up fine and it moves. When I start it there is a lood rattling noise. When I press my gas it sounds like a revving engine or a winding sound. Any ideas?
Cmacfar74

Information is insuffcient for us to make any suggestions. Can you elaborate on the noise and source?

The best way to describe the rattling noise when the car is started is is sounds like an old broken air conditioner or maybe if you were to put a penny in a can and shake it. When I press the gas it sounds like a race car that is revving up. It's a vroooom sound but the car goes and I am noticing nothing wrong when the car shifts. The noise is coming from the front of the engine. It seems to be near where the serpentine belt is but it's clearly inside the engine. The belt is on great condition.

Cmacfar74
Did you check the oil level?
Is engine heavily sludged?
Which engine do you have?
If it is inside the engine, the item likely to cause rattling would be the timing chain. This is a critical component and any failure can cause a lot of damages. You need to get it checked asap.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I recently had the oil changed so it's not low in oil. How can tell if the engine is heavily sludged? Where do I look? I have had a nightmare problem in the past with a timing chain so I will take it in ASAP.

Cmacfar74
Remove the oil filler cap and look inside. If everything looks clean, it is good. If there are a lot of gunk, it is sludged.

Sounds like the belt tensioner. Could also be a bad waterpump bushing, alternator bushing, or AC compressor clutch. Most of these you should be able to diagnose with your hands with the engine off. If you grab each pulley (or tensioner) real tight and shake it, it shouldn't move.

Another way to check these is to release tension on the serpentine belt and start the car. If the noise is gone, it's one of these things mentioned above. Don't let it run for more than a minutes or two with the belt off or it could overheat because the waterpump will be essentially disconnected.

Heathric
By the way, when and if you find a solution, please contribute to the forum by telling us what the problem was. Many people search forums for solutions. But if nobody posts their solutions, there's no point in having a forum.

Heathric