CHEVROLET COBALT NOISE PROBLEM

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt • 55,000 miles

LOUD THUMP WHILE BRAKING HARD

Today, I had to stop short in my parking lot. I was only going 10-15 mph at the time. There was a LOUD thump from the back/middle of the car; it sounded like a bowling ball trying to slam through the trunk into the passenger compartment. I thought maybe I'd hit a pot hole or something, so, I drove a little further, and stopped short again. SAME THING. It does not make this noise when coming to a gradual stop. It doesn't even always make it when stopping short (I tried a few more times, and it only made the noise a couple of times, but, there's no mistaking it). It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side, either in the middle or back of the car. I've always had noisy brakes since I got the car (at 46K miles), as far as squeaking, but, they've been checked out a couple of times and I was told they were fine, just noisy. This, however, is a scary sound. I've already called the dealership, but, I'd like to know what it might be, especially since I can't always replicate it.

My bet is a hot spot in a rotor. They should be replaced along with the pads.