OVERHEATING

2008 Cadillac CTS • 6 cylinder AWD • 60,000 miles

Cadillac cts 2008 car overheated(went into idle) overheated out of nowhere. Can't find manual to check level over resevoir. Please advise where to find
Maurice12

The coolant reservoir is on the left(drivers) side of the engine compartment, between the left strut tower and the firewall. I have yet to see one of these overheat, what were the conditions under which it happened? If you had lost coolant, it should have given a check coolant message. Where there any warning signs other that it going to idle?

Factoryjack
No warning at all. A/C was off. This happen in Riverside Ca weather 93 degrees

Maurice12
What did the gauge read? How did you determine it was an overheat?

Factoryjack
No warning at all. A/C was off. This happen in Riverside Ca weather 93 degreesNo warning at all. A/C was off. This happen in Riverside Ca weather 93 degrees

Maurice12
The gauge shot up less than 45 seconds. Then the car read. Overheating and went into idle to protect it

Maurice12
Something so sudden like that, I would be suspicious first of all, that it was truly overheating, and not just something falsely registering. If the coolant level is full, check the belt(although if it failed you would have lost power steering). The thermostat is on the rear of this engine, a real bear to get to. That would be another place to check.

Factoryjack
I do see a little leak

Maurice12
Another thing to consider, is the vehicle still should have powertrain warranty to 100k. Your owners manual will shed some light on what is defined as 'powertrain', but it may be warrantible. On the earlier 3.6, the water pump was known to leak, I don't know as though the pump changed on a 2008.

Factoryjack
Thanks for all ur help going to have it towed to the dealer

Maurice12