550I

2008 BMW 545i • V8 2WD Automatic • 47,000 miles

I have a 2008 BMW 550i and I have new rims and tires from Tire Rack. The tire pressures are set properly. Between 40 and 60 mph there is a reverberating moaning noise almost like going over rumbling strips. Please help!
Alikalkan2003

Have someone follow on multilane road and check out tire/wheel from both sides of car. If something funny is going on, it will show up as wobble or bounce pattern. Google complaints about tire rack.

Fixitmr
What brand of tire did you install on the vehicle? Some tires have a tendency to be quite noisy. Tires with certain tread patterns are more susceptible to this possibility.

Dr. Hagerty
I use Michelin original size and speed rating.

Alikalkan2003
Was the noise present with the original tires?

Dr. Hagerty
Yes it was. Do you think it could be front wheel bearings?

Alikalkan2003
If the noise was present with the original tires, what about that is different with your new tires?

Dr. Hagerty
Very possibly could be front wheel bearing(s). They usually produce a sound like you describe. Generally speaking, when you turn the wheel sharply the sound should change or disappear momentarily. Especially if 1 bearing is bad or worse than the other side.

Fixitmr
Yes, the sound does disappear momentarily when I turn the wheel sharply. Now, how do I figure out which one it is? Thanks!

Alikalkan2003
If the sounds from the front are when the wheel is turned to the right, it is likely the right bearing. Lifting the car to allow the wheels to spin would be another way.

Dr. Hagerty