BELT TENSIONER REPLACEMENT

2007 Toyota Camry • 55,550 miles

Hi,
I went to the dealer with a chirping noise from under the hood near the serpentine belt area. They checked and said it was the belt that was bad and replaced it costing me $148 with almost 1.2 hrs of labor charges. The noise is still there and then they said it is the belt tensioner and it needs to be replaced. The tech said it is a 4-5 hour job and would cost me $575-$600. IS that true? How hard is it to replace the tensioner? I thought the tensioner pulley was right on the top of the crank shaft pulley, pretty much the same region where you would loosen in the first place to change belt. Are they trying to rip me off? Or the 1.2 hours already spend on labor they could have done the tensioner. Am I correct? Please advice!
The noise is still there. Its low when waiting at a light and driving, but when I turn on the A/C its more prominent when idle. I even asked them if the belt is loose and just needs to be tightened. But he was standing on his head with the tensioner.
Thanks! : )
Sharathpsasi

Which engine do you have?Also they should have caught the bad tensor when they looked at it originally. What's your zip code so I can get you a price on replacing it.

Its V6 3.5L engine. 02467 is my zip code. So you mean to say that when changing the belt they would have seen it in the first place that tensioner needs to be replaced too. Well before they changes the belt the guy came up to me and said just the belt needs to be changed even though I asked him if it was for sure. So I guess I need to go back and bust them on it or go to a different place? I would have to pay more for the labor again?

Sharathpsasi
The labor time I see is.9hrs a total of 228.11 at a independent repair shop.I also see just the belt to replace it is.7hrs labor and a total of 108.86 to replace that at the dealer.I would talk to the service manager about it. They should have caught especially since the belt was still squealing when you left with the car.