CAN YOU HELP WITH CHECK ENGINE LIGHT?

2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic •

I have a 2007 saturn vue hybrid, the check engine light comes on every time we drive in the rain. The mechanic resets it and tell me to drive awhile and he will try to inspect it then. It did not clear inspection because he says the code is for a loose gas cap which I had replaced weeks before. It has now rained again and the light is back on. HELP please
Chuckpoo101

First of all we need to see which code's we have I need the number's of the code's to help you further with the check engine light. Also does your hybrid work or is it disabled?

The hybrid still works, I am taking it in tomorrow to get it reset and I will get the code then. Thanks

Chuckpoo101
Ok if the hybrid part still work's then it shouldn't be a hybrid issue. Let me know what the code number's you have and we will go from there.

Sorry it took so long! I have been referred to a GM dealership. The code is P0455. The sensors were checked and found OK. Second smoke test, no leaks found. System cleared and told to drive 50 to 100 miles. Rained Saturday and car not driven because of bad(snowy) weather. Started car Sunday and light back on again. I am ready to run it in a ditch, by the way, found inspection paper from original dealership andhad passed inspection on 07/12/2010, go figure! Have driven car 108 miles since last checked.

Chuckpoo101
Ok I have had the car to GM dealership and have been told they cannot test the car until the after market gas cap is replaced and a GM cap is installed. I said ok, but the car still will not pass inspection. The code they are getting is P 0455. Can you help?

Chuckpoo101
That's a code for large leak in the evap system I have seen the canister purge solenoid's stick open causing that code there supposed to closed and then the computer open's it to allow vacuum to the gas tank to check the system for leak's. When they stick open it creates leak's. Here is what it say's about that code.
DTC P0455

Diagnostic Instructions

* Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Verification Tests and Procedures
* Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
* Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each of the diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptor

DTC P0455

* Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak

Circuit/System Description

The control module tests the evaporative emission (EVAP) system for a large leak. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor signal to determine the EVAP system vacuum level. When the conditions for running are met, the control module commands the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve OPEN and the EVAP vent solenoid valve CLOSED. This allows engine vacuum to enter the EVAP system. At a calibrated time, or vacuum level, the control module commands the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve closed, sealing the system, and monitors the FTP sensor input in order to determine the EVAP system vacuum level. The following table illustrates the relationship between the ON and OFF states, and the OPEN or CLOSED states of the EVAP canister purge and vent solenoid valves.