OVERHEATING

2007 Saturn Outlook • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 60,000 miles

My 2007 Saturn Outlook is running hot/overheating. I took it into a repair shop and was told most of the coolant was gone from the radiator. They did a pressure test and found no leaks. They filled the radiator with coolant and it was fine for about 2 weeks. The check engine light has come on, and it started to overheat again. I had it checked and the coolant was gone again. It's also now getting terrible gas mileage. Any idea what this could be? Thank you
Lovebeingme

Lets start with what are the exact code numbers you have?Go to a auto parts store like auto zone and have them scan your codes for free.

If you don't see puddles on the ground, suspect a leaking head gasket. There are two tests that can help identify that. One involves drawing air from the radiator through a glass cylinder with two chambers partially filled with a dark blue liquid. If combustion gases are present, the liquid will turn bright yellow. When combustion gases can leak into the cooling system, coolant can leak into the combustion chamber and go out the tail pipe.

The second test is to add a small bottle of dye to the coolant. After the coolant loss is observed, you search with a black light. The dye will show up as a bright yellow stain that you can follow to the source of the leak. That includes looking at the tail pipe.

Thank you. I will head to Auto Zone and have them scan it today.

Lovebeingme
If you want to use the tube tester with the liquid they rent those testers at auto zone for free you just have to buy the fluid which they sell for about 8.00. Also have it scanned for codes while you are there. If the engine is loosing coolant like you say running too hot will also boil over the cap a great deal of coolant. If your loosing most of your coolant in two weeks then I would think when they pressure tested the cooling system at the shop they would have found any external leaks at that time.I have seen some thermostat issues with those outlooks.

The error code is P0449.

Thanks so much for your help. : )

Lovebeingme
Code p0449 is evap vent solenoid control circuit which has nothing to do with the engine overheating. So when it overheats is the radiator cooling fan running?Do you have a temp gun?

The radiator fan is running. In fact, the first instance
Of a problem I was on my way to pick up my daughter and when I shut
Off the engine, the fan continued to run for a few minutes. I don't
know what a temperature gun is to be honest.

I can't believe how fast it's going through gas. I filled the tank on Friday
and I have drove maybe 60 miles and it's already close to a half tank!

Lovebeingme
A half of a tank in 60 miles you would be smelling gas leaking or black smoke out the tail pipe and it would be running pretty bad. There are no codes for running rich which there should be if its burning that much fuel.A temp gun measures surface temps you can use it to see what temp the fan comes on at if the thermostat is opening at the correct temp etc.

Seriously, I did some shopping on Saturday, had to drive about 10
Miles each way for an errand an sunday, and drove to work and back
today (7 miles each way). There is no smoke or smell, but theA/C
keeps blowing at the normal blow, and then blows really lite for a few
seconds.

I'm so confused!

Ignoring the mileage issue, I should have it tested for a leak in the
head gasket? Is this normal for a car with only 60k miles on it?

I apologize for being so ignorant about cars.

Thanks for the advise.

Lovebeingme
The a/c could be kicking out because of the engine running hot. There are a few things that could be causing the running hot you said the fan runs but we dont know if the fan is turning on at the correct temp meaning could have a bad coolant temp sensor. Also could have debris blocking the radiator and a/c comdensor fins not allowing enough air to pas thru the radiator. Also could have a bad thermostat or a bad head gasket those would be the most common things.I would check the head gasket last.