GRINDING NOISE WHEN ACCELERATING

2007 Saturn Ion • 78,000 miles

I've noticed just in the past couple days a strange grinding noise when accelerating. When I hit 2000 rpms I start hearing the noise and so far I can only tell that it does it in drive, I tried revving the engine in neutral and didn't hear anything.

I also noticed while sitting in a drive-thru today I could hear a kind of banging/clunking noise like metal hitting metal coming from underneath the car. Any ideas on these problems? Thanks!
Justinh882007

Sounds like a internal transmission failure has the transmission. Fluid ever been changed?

No, I was reading my owner's manual and it said the transmission fluid should have been changed at 50,000 miles and I am now at 80,000 miles. I am planning on getting that changed this weekend. Will there be extra repairs now since it hasn't been changed?

Justinh882007
If you're getting a grinding noise from your transmission that sounds like a lot of extra repairs. When they drain the transmission fluid have them drain it through some rags. That way they will be able to see if there's any metal in the transmission fluid.