PLEASE HELP! ALL THE ANSWERS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED! PROBLEMS!

2007 Mazda CX7 • 60,000 miles

I have 2007 mazda cx7 and recently the check engine light came on. I took my car to the dealer and they diagnosed the problem at the evap leak detection pump, they told me, pump needs to be replaced and its gonna cost; pump plus labor 450$. I didnt leave my car there to have it fixed since they told me there was no actual leak in the pump. My question; is it okay to drive my car with this check engine light on? And is the pump failing? Or is it possible that the some sensors give the false alert and there's nothing wrong with the pump? Also one more question; I have an extended warranty; the power train warranty and they told me at the dealership that the replacement of this detection pump would not be covered by my warranty? Is that the case? And how do I check whats covered what not?
Paul 555

One of the things we overheard all the time at the dealership I worked at was "what you need isn't covered", mostly with third party warranties, which are really just insurance contracts. They are rarely a good deal for car owners. As a side note, you have the right to cancel the contract, get a partial refund, then you can use that money for the repair.

Leak detection pumps are not a part of the drive train, just like the radio or wiper motor. The fault code will specify what is wrong with that system, and typically it's not a problem with the pump itself, although it could be. More commonly it's a leak in the evaporative emissions system, meaning a loose or cracked rubber hose, which would be a "small leak", or the "large leak" we're all familiar with caused by a loose gas cap.

The first thing to do is find out exactly what the fault code number is. If they didn't tell you, have the code(s) read at an auto parts store. Many of them will do that for you for free.

I forgot to mention that when I worked for a very nice family-owned Chrysler dealership, anything emissions-related had a 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty, but it seems to me that was federal law, not Chrysler policy. You might look into that.

What was the EXACT trouble code retrieved? Most trouble codes indicates a fault in the system the code provides and it could be anything from a leaking hose to a bad valve.