LS460

2007 Lexus LS • V8 2WD Automatic • 5,000 miles

I took my 2007 (5000 miles only) car into the dealer for a recent factory recall to replace the value springs. 200 miles later the engine blew up (value apparently dropped down on top of a piston) putting a hole in the side of the block. The interior of the car filled up with smoke. The dealer has been quick to replace the short block which took about a month. They gave me a free loaner.

My question, is the car worth less and am I likely to have problems because this major work was not done at the factory?

Thank you in advance, Fred
Acspirit

Unless the job was not done correctly otherwise it would not affect anything as the damaged parts had been replaced.

I only had a few minutes to look at it and discovered that the front wheel liner had been chipped and slighly buckled which makes it look like a wrecked car. I am just concerned that it is a complicated car and engine and the longevity of the engine might be compromised by not being installed in the factory with all their checks and double checks. The problem was obviously caused by the dealer's mechanic so I don't have a lot of confidence in them. I am thinking about asking for a new car replacement.

PS They delivered the car when it was snowing so it was trashed with sand from the roads.

Acspirit
Cosmetic tears and damage are daily life for the vehicle and should not affect much as they can be easily rectified. Accident repairs would leave behind telltale signs so you need not worry if it had not been in one.

Unless the engine is giving you problems after repairs, it is not likely that they are going to give you a new car. If you do not have any confidence in the repairs, get a second opinion from the factory. Have them check the work and get the dealer to provide you with written warranty on the work done.

Thank you. BTW, do you know contact information for Lexus Factory Representative?

Acspirit
Sorry I am not able to help you on this. The owner's manual might have something on it.

Thanks again.

Acspirit