JEEP COMMANDER SENSOR PROBLEM

2007 Jeep Commander

Liftgate open message when liftgate is closed.

I had a previous issue with this a few years ago. I opted to have the sensor from the liftgate latch removed, which originally fixed the problem.

Two years later. The issue is back! I have removed the rear lift gate panneling, basically disconnected everything I could find, to still find it stating the liftgate is opened. The problem seems to come on and off. It was on again this morning sitting in my garage. I opened the door and slammed it, and it turned off. It was off on my drive in from work.

Any idea what this could be?
Jdlarso

There is a Tech bulletin on this issue dealer will make repair if under warrenty. If your out did you tape connector wires when removed switch? Still have switch? Have a test light or DVOM?

Docfixit
Unfortunately I am out of warranty.

I am not following you about taping the connector wires?

When you say switch, are you referring to the actual plug in that goes right into the rear latch itself?

I do not have a test light or DVOM.

Jdlarso
Must have a way to measure voltage bulletin states wire contacts door body grounding and causing light to come on

Docfixit
You think if I just cut the sensor connector and tape it, I should be OK?

Jdlarso
The thing is the sensor itself is already unplugged. So I dont know how it is still tripping the "liftgate open" message.

The faulty sensor is unplugged.

Jdlarso
That is why need a meter must know if 10 volts present and wires are not grounding

Docfixit
So if the plug itself is unplugged and just hanging in there, I should still meter it?

Can you give me the steps if it is less than 10 volts or if it is 10 volts?

Thanks!

Jdlarso
Just need to see voltage there to rule out faulty BCM then OHM check to ground to see if insulation is frayed as to TBS and is ocassionaly grounding. Pluged or unpluged has no bearing on wiring causing problem

Docfixit
Sounds good. I will check tonight and get back to you tomorrow. I apprecaite it!

Jdlarso
Good also move wire around ie. Wiggle see if light comes on or flickers

Docfixit
Page 1 of 2