INTERMITTANT A/C FAILURE WHEN WORKING HARD

2007 Honda CRV • 92,000 miles

When it is hot outside (90+) and the A/C is worked hard, it starts blowing hot air suddenly. This most often occurs when the max A/C button is selected but not always.

I have run the diagnostics by pressing the recirculate and rear defrost buttons, but no code is shown.
Tanikir

They have been having a lot of problems with failed compressor relays on those recently.I would try swapping the relay with a like relay from something non-critical like the horn

Wrenchtech
Which relay? I went do do this and found 3-4 relays that appeared to be A/C related and none for the horn.

Also, to complete the diagnostics I mentioned earlier is a code scanner needed? I was looking at the dash control panel for any codes to flash.

Tanikir
I swapped the a/c compressor clutch relay with the rear window defogger relay and the a/c condenser fan relay with the fan control relay.

The problem appears to be resolved but I don't have the heat that caused previous failures. I will update later if this doesn't work.

Tanikir
You need to replace those relay/s with new ones now.

Wrenchtech
Relays weren't the problem. It started up again today. I tried checking the low side pressure, but the compressor wouldn't kick in so I know the reading isn't correct.

I bought a can of r-134a with a gauge to check the levels, but the gauge doesn't return to zero after being disconnected so I'm not sure if it can be trusted once the problem goes away so the compressor will kick in.

Tanikir
You don't want to be arbitrarily dumping refrigerant in there. That system requires a very specific weight of refrigerant. If you put too much, you can destroy a $1,000 compressor and a lot more. That needs to be checked by a professional.

Wrenchtech
I too am having this problem started about a month ago. Mine seems to work fine unless its run for a couple hours and you stop for gas or something then when you retstart the car the ac will only blow hot air for thirty minuites or so. If I leavfe it off for thirty minutes or so it usually (so far) starts blowing cool air again.

Rfetested
Rfetested, you need to start a question of your own, not hijack someone else's

Wrenchtech
Ensure the cooling coil is not frosted. That would occur when air leaks into cabin with thermostat set to minimum.