FORD TAURUS HEATER PROBLEM

2007 Ford Taurus • 60,000 miles

Told I have a heater core problem with intermittent heat and poor defrosting. What would the approx cost be to replace? Thank you.

ARE YOU SORTA HANDY?

IF THE OLE HEATER CORE AIN'T LEAKING

YOU CAN LEAVE THE HOSES ATTACHED TO THE HEATER CORE

BUT FOLLOW THEM OUT TO THE ENGINE AND DISCONNECT BOTH OF THEM THERE (WHEREVER THE NEXT CONNECTION IS)

NOW YOU HAVE SORTA GOT A HEATER CORE WITH TWO HOSES DANGLING

GRAB MR. GARDEN HOSE AND SHOOT WATER IN ONE (IT'LL COME OUT THE OTHER HOSE)

THEN DO THIS TO THE OTHER ONE

REPEAT THIS PROCESS SEVERAL TIMES----LIKE 5-10

I DID THIS TO A CHEROKEE A FEW DAYS AGO, THE OWNER (ONE OF MY PALS), WANTED TO SEE WHAT CAME OUT

WE EXTENDED THE HOSE OPPOSITE OF THE ONE WE WERE BLASTING WITH WATER (THEN SWITCHED UP, AS WE BLASTED THE OTHER HOSE)---WE DRAPED THE LONG HOSE INTO A 5 GALLON BUCKET, EACH TIME WE BLASTED.

I TOOK ANOTHER BUCKET AND DROOPED A WHITE TOWEL INTO THE TOP AND TIED A ROPE OVER THE TOWEL ENDS AND AROUND THE BUCKET (SORTA A BIG OLE COFFEE FILTER)

AS WE CAUGHT CRAP IN THE 1ST BUCKET, WE POURED IT OVER INTO THE "FILTER BUCKET"

WE CAME UP WITH WHAT LOOKED LIKE CHUNKS OF RUBBER SILICONE, BITS OF PLASTIC, AND A GOOD BIT OF "SNOT-LIKE GOO"

YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS---I JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU WHAT WAS IN THERE!

WHEN YOU FINISH, RECONNECT THE HOSES TO THE ENGINE, REFILL YOUR RADIATOR (YOU MAY LOSE A GALLON OR SO OF RADIATOR JUICE)WHEN WE "UN-DID" HIS HOSES, I CAPPED OFF THE PORTS ON THE ENGINE WITH "BIG" VINYL VACUUM CAPS (2), LIKE SHIPPING PLUGS ON HVAC/ PLUMBING PIPE, TO PREVENT SO MUCH COOLANT LOSS FROM THE ENGINE, WHILE WASHING AND BACKWASHING THE HEATER CORE

AFTER I FINISHED, I SCOLDED MYSELF FOR NOT TAKING PICS OF THE PROCESS----I TAKE MANY PICS THAT I POST ON HERE

AFTER THE RADIATOR IS FULL---CRANK IT UP AND GET IT TO OPERATING TEMPERATURELOOK FOR LEAKS ON THE HOSES YOU TOOK LOOSE---WHEN IT COOLS---CHECK YOUR RADIATOR JUICE LEVEL AGAIN

MY BUDDY'S SYMPTOMS WERE ONE VERY HOT HEATER HOSE---THE OTHER WAS BARELY WARM. GETTING VERY LITTLE HEAT FROM THE HEATER

WHEN WE GOT DONE, BOTH WERE EQUALLY HOT

---ALL WAS WELL!

PICS OF MY '77 CJ 5----I DID A HEATER SWAP TO A BETTER DESIGNED 1979 + UP -- WHILE I HAD IT APART I DID SOME MODS TO MAKE IT EZer IN THE FUTURE---I NO LONGER HAVE TO REMOVE THE WHOLE DASH AND THE HEATER BOX TO CHANGE THE HEATER CORE AND BLOWER MOTOR. ALL I DO NOW IS REMOVE THE BATTERY AND THE BATTERY TRAY ASSEMBLY

PIC 1) MY NEW ACCESS PORTS ON THE FIREWALL

PIC 2) THIS IS THE BACK SIDE OF THE HEATER SHOWING (BLACK PART)---I CUT THE "SHAPE" WITH A DREMEL TOOL ON THE HEATER BOXDID A LOT OF TRANSFERRING OF MEASUREMENTS TO THE FIREWALL---THEN CUT THEM OUT TOO

PIC 3) THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT---SIMPLY PULL THE CHUNK OF HEATER BOX BACK OUT, WITH THE HEATER CORE IN TOW!----THE BLOWER WORKS SORTA THE SAME WAY

SORRY THAT WON'T HELP YOU MUCH, UNLESS YOU GET A CJ!

I DID DOCUMENT ALL OF THE MEASUREMENTS FROM KNOWN POINTS, FOR OTHERS TO USE

YOUR TURN

Hi sorry I have not posted for a while but when I realised that there was bleed screws for the radiator and heater I bled them right away. My heater worked and I gave it some time to see if it would go cold like it did before but it still works fine. So thanks to all who helped and I'm a happy and warm driver.

All the best bill Burke.

Wfburke
THAT'S GREAT!!!

WE WONDERED WHERE YOU WANDERED OFF TO

NEXT TIME, BREAK YOUR BUDDY'S CAR, THEN COME BACK TO SEE US!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up