HOW DO I TURN ON THE TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM

2007 Ford Mustang • 100,000 miles

I was making a left hand turn and all of a sudden my rear end kicked out to the right and I did a nice little fishtail. The road conditions were damp, but not drenched and I did not accelerate fast or turn the wheel sharp, I was driving normal. My TCS does not have a light, it either says off or says nothing. Now, here is where I'm confused, I was told that when TCS is activated it illuminates as saying off, and when it's not lit up saying off, then it's not engaged. I have been told that and vice versa though. So, what should it say if it's engaged and active.

Thanks,
Pete
Pete01

When the light is off, the system is working. It has nothing to do with fishtailing though. All it does is activate a brake for the wheel that's spinning faster than the other one when you try to accelerate. It can't overcome other conditions. Traction control systems are an additional feature added on to the anti-lock brake system.