SES DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR

2007 Ford Focus

First noticed problem when using the keyless entry remote. The rear driver door does not lock or unlock. It stays in the unlocked position. I removed the interior door panel and plastic handle that has the plastic lock switch attached to it. There is a cable that runs from an actuator to the interior door handle. Removing the cable from the interior door handle allows the actuator to function. I can press lock and unlock on the remote and the cable slides in and out of its sleeve.

Re-attaching the interior door handle to this cable causes issue with the locking feature. I can manually lock and unlock the door. But the keyless remote will unlock, but not lock.

I visited the parts counter at the Ford dealer and the clerk said they have never sold this part before, but gave me a part number 26412 for $163. It looks like it has the actuator and metal switch piece that grabs the body of the car to keep the door closed.

Autopartswharehous. Com says they dont carry this part. Purchasing this large electrical item from the junk yard is a gamble.

What is broken and what part do I need?
Jjthaut

Is there something broken?Your my eyes I need your input on if something is broken. Most of the actuators I have seen go bad became too weak to do there job. Has the actuator became too weak to do its job when its hooked up?Otherwise something is jambing up causing the actuator to no be able to do its job.

The actuator is still hidden behind the foam insulation. What am I looking for if I remove it?

With no door handle attached to the cable that comes out from the actuator, the keyless remote can lock and unlock.

With the cable snapped into place on the door handle, just hanging there with the panel off, the keyless remote can lock, but no noise or action on the unlock.

First sign of the problem, the actuator would not lock on the rear driver door, but stay in the unlock position.

Jjthaut
It sounds like a weak actuator a lot of times when they get weak they will lock but not unlock.I would make sure the linkage isnt jambing or binding when locking or unlocking it with your hand instead of the actuator doing it.

Yes, I can manually pull the cable out and push in to lock and unlock the door from the inside. What does that mean?

Jjthaut
If nothing is binding and you can do what the cable from the actuator does sounds like a weak actuator. You just have to rule everything else out to make sure the actuator is bad.

Where can I buy the actuator?

The Ford dealer sells the actuator which is attached to a switch that grabs the frame of the car to hold it shut. I probably dont need that part, just the actuator.

Jjthaut
It says the latch and actuator are together heres the link tot eh one i found its the last part listed.You can even click the view diagram to see it.

http://www.parts.com/parts/2007/FORD/FOCUS/SES/?siteid=2&vehicleid=1433433§ion=BODY%20HARDWARE&group=REAR%20DOOR&subgroup=LOCK%20%26%20HARDWARE&component=Latch%20assy&startrow=1&searchtext=&itemAdded

This car has a feature that when put into gear, after a few feet of travel, all the locks automatically move to the lock position. Since the Focus door actuator has a high failure rate, is there any programming or fuse that can be removed to turn this feature off? I would like to learn if there is a method for reducing future door actuator failures on this bothersome car.

Thanks for showing me where to find this aftermarket part.

Jjthaut
I have ordered parts from them 3 or 4 times before and they have always been factory parts.I will check into programing locks for you.