FORD FOCUS POWER STEERING PROBLEM

2007 Ford Focus • 132,000 miles

I have a 07 2.0 ltr. I'm having p/s airiation issues. Wife came home about 10000 miles ago and p/s pump was growling like it was low on fluid. The level was ok and no leaks, so I decided to flush the system. It took forever, but I finally
Coastalwelding

Usually this is caused form using the incorrect fluid. Question isn't specific enough

Its abad ps pump it is common for focus

John grace
It happens, can't say it's common though. You have a lot of mileage on it so you could expect that especially if you never hcanged the fluid.

Well I did figure it out! Ford in there infinite wisdome, put a screen inside the power steering pump housing = none sevicable. I replaced the housing = all is good. Hope this makes someone some money or at least saves some time.

Coastalwelding
The screen is there ot protectthe pump from particles going in. However the particles may have been smaller and made your pump fail.

I understand why a screen/filter would be added into the P/S system, But, why wouldn't manufactuer put it "in line" where it could be replace, And since it is a "filter" why doesnt it get mentioned in the "service" manual? This is not really a question, no need to reply

Coastalwelding
Parts are manufactured for the cheapest cost, ease of installation and how far they think it will go. If you put it in line it would be 2 clamps plus the filter