FORD F-150 HEATER PROBLEM

2007 Ford F-150 • 110,000 miles

I have a 2007 ford F150 with a 5.4L gas engine and was wondering the best way to install an Kat's 1500W heater on the coolant system. I have found my heater hoses and located the radiator hoses but am still perplexed on how ti install the heater for optimum use.

I JUST LOOKED AT A PIC OF ONE ON EBAY

LOOKS LIKE IT INSTALLS IN THE HEATER HOSES (LOOKING AT THE INLET AND OUTLET) CONNECTION SIZES

IT LOOKS TO BE DIRECTIONAL AS IT SHOULD "PUSH WATER" IN THE SAME DIRECTION THAT IT NORMALLY TRAVELS IN THE HOSES FROM THE WATER PUMP ACTION

THERE WERE NO INSTRUCTIONS AS TO BEST LOCATION?

WITHOUT DIGGING DEEPER---THIS HEATER YOU HAVE HAS A PUMP?---AND MOVES WATER MECHANICALLY?

I HAVE A HEATER THAT HEATS FROM THE LOWER RADIATOR HOSE AND THE "RISE" OF WARM WATER IS WHAT CIRCULATES IT INTO THE ENGINE (NO MOTOR OR PUMP)

IT IS NOT IN USE NOW, IT WAS INSTALLED ON A PREVIOUS GIRLFRIEND'S CAR---I RECLAIMED IT AFTER SHE WRECKED IT

IT "HAD TO BE" INSTALLED ON A LOWER RADIATOR HOSE, THAT "RISES" UPWARDS TOWARDS THE WATER PUMP----INSTRUCTIONS SAID IF THE HOSE WAS MOSTLY HORIZONTAL OR ROSE UP TOWARDS THE RADIATOR IT WOULD NT WORK

FORTUNATELY, THE CAR WAS SET-UP JUST RIGHT----IT KEPT EVERYTHING WARM, TO INCLUDE THE RADIATOR

THE LINK BELOW HAS MORE INFO ON MINE---AND PICS TOO

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1994-chevrolet-silverado-during-cold-season-weather-40-degree-below-94-chevy-350

NOW.........SORTA EXPLAIN YOUR DILEMMA A LITTLE MORE IN DEPTH???

"ROOM" IS THE ONLY THING I MIGHT SEE AS BEING A PROBLEM

IS IT SUGGESTED THAT THE HEATER HOSES COULD BE EXTENDED SO THAT YOU COULD FIND A PLACE TO MOUNT THE UNIT?

WITH IT BEING A "PUMP" CAN IT BE MOUNTED IN ANY KIND OF POSITION---AS LONG AS DIRECTION OF FLOW IS CORRECT?

YOUR TURN

Hi Medic. There are installation instructions for it here, on Five Star Manufacturing's web site. It's straight thermosiphon, no pump involved.

As far as the actual installation, if I were installing it on my vehicle I would probably plumb the "Y" fitting into the heater line returning the water from the heater core on the basis that it would then put the heated water into the block, warming it up and assisting in cold-starting the engine. Also, that would give the best odds of avoiding the thermostat in the vehicle and would prevent the hot water from getting trapped behind a vacuum-controlled water valve or something similar. I would also make sure I had the thing perfectly vertical as that would present the best chance for it to work the way it's supposed to.

SA

StrictlyAmateur
THE INSTRUCTIONS LOOK PRETTY STRAIGHTFORWARD----ONCE YOU ENLARGE THE PRINT 5000Xs SO YOU CAN SEE IT!

PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE "CAUTIONS" BEFORE START-UP!

THE DIAGRAMS WITH "YES" AND "NO"s PRETTY MUCH SUM UP HOW THEY WANT IT INSTALLED

DON'T WANNA BURN IT UP BEFORE YOU GET TO USE IT!

THE ONE I SAW ON EBAY WAS $54----WHAT'S THE NORMAL RETAIL ON ONE OF 'EM?

KEEP US POSTED ON HOW THINGS ARE GOING