MY 3.5 GAS ENGINE HAS A HOWLING, GRINDING NOISE WHEN I DRIVE. WHEN THE VEHICLE IS CRUISING IN NUETRAL IT DOESN'T MAKE THE NOISE, I HAD A MECHANIC BRIEFLY HEAR THE NOISE AND HE SAYS IT IS PROBABY THE HUB BEARINGS. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF

2007 Dodge Sprinter • 221,000 miles

Hub bearings?
Big bruiser

Sounds like differential/pinion bearings/gears.

Fixitmr
Is that another name for hub bearing?

Big bruiser
No. Hub bearing is in wheel.

Fixitmr
Fixitmr, I appreciate your answers that you supply however can you be more specific and in detail in your answers so that we do not have to go back and forth with this. For example, you say "sounds like differential/pinion bearings/gears", I ask you if that is another name for hub bearing, and your response is "no. Hub bearing is in wheel". Well I shouldn't have to respond with a question like "ok so what and where is this differential/piion bearing/gears". Again the point I am making is that you should be more specific and in full detail with your answers. Thank you

Big bruiser
It's called bang for the buck. On free answers I start out with general directions. If needed and I have time, I can dig deeper. If I have specific experience with exact problem symptoms I can be more specific right off the bat! You could rent/buy suspension noise detectors to help locate source of noise? Other people may chime in with other suggestions if you wait or you could go for upgrade the question?

Fixitmr
My guess is rear differential pinion bearings bad. This would make growl from bad bearing and whine from misalignment of gears cause by failing bearing.

Fixitmr