VOLVO XC90 BRAKES PROBLEM

2006 Volvo XC90 • 100,000 miles

I had the front brake rotors replaced approx 6 months ago. Abt 2 months ago, I noticed a "snapping" or "popping" sound coming for BOTH front brakes each time they are applied. The brakes still work properly and I see no decline in stopping distance or anything like that, jus tthe sound when the brakes are applied. Any idea what this may be?
Finnaddict9898

Very common problem in these vehicle. You need to clean and grease the contact point on the brake pads. Either the shop that did it did not lube them or did not put enough? If the work was done 6 months ago see if the shop that did the brakes will lube the contact points for you. Good lluck and let us know if this helped you out.

JIS001
Brought it back, they claim they can't replicate the noise. Although they did clean and grease everything, as they are backing the car out, I hear the snapping and they say they dont know what it is! I guess its time to find a new repair shop. They did say the brakes looked good, they were just a little dirty.

Finnaddict9898
I think you should also and have another shop verify that all the contact points were greased. That would include the backing part of the brake pads where the metal clips go in to the caliper and bracket. If all that looks good then have the rear subframe bushing bolts check to see if they are tight. If not you will need to replace the rear control arm bushings and install the upgraded nuts and bolts. Then it needs to be torqued down to 75nm and then torqued down to 180 degrees. So that would also be another area to look at as well. Please continue to keep us posted and hope these noise gets resolved soon.

JIS001