TURBO FAILURE

2006 Volvo XC70 • 5 cylinder AWD Automatic • 85,000 miles

Hi the Turbo Charger on my 2006 XC70 failed about 2 months ago - had a little over 80,000 miles on car. I had one rebuilt and installed by a repair shop, Can the turbo failing cause other engine problems?

Ever since the turbo was replaced, oil has been leaking from under the car. Outside the car and in the car - it smells like burning oil. Over the past week I have heard something rattling and about 2 weeks ago heard a big thud but didn't run over anything. Could the turbo charger failure have caused this problem or did mechanic not repair correctly?

---Initially after turbo was replaced there was a lot of white smoke coming out of exhaust for about a week - oil came out of exhaust (tail pipe) - I read this part is normal until oil gets out of system - Is this right?

(I did recognize a problem in July/Aug. Of 2010 some white smoke coming out of exhaust - was told it was "condensation" - but it happened more and I thought no something is wrong. Brought the car in again it was missed again.) I started hearing a high pitched noise for a few days and then a ton of white smoke poured out exhaust when taking off from a traffic light. So I pulled car over and had it towed to garage- turbo shot?) (Interestingly no failure codes or messages appeared. That would have helped.)

I brought the car back to the repair shop a few weeks after the turbo was repaired to have the leaking oil(under engine front of car) problem looked at - he said the turbo failure must of blown out the oil rings? I haven't read anywhere that the turbo failure causes other problems? The oil level has not gone down too much, I've been monitoring it and added about 1/2 quart since

1. Can turbo failure cause other mechanical failures? If so what things can go wrong?
2. Can one overdue oil change cause the turbo to fail?
(I am thinking the prior owner maybe didn't maintain car well? As I had been changing oil at 3,000-5,000 miles, but during the past winter I let it go to about 10,000 miles - actually - the book says 7,500 miles between oil changes?
***The mechanic told me this one oil change did it, however, I think he was trying to cover his butt as I had told him of the white smoke in the summer of 2010 and again in Sept/Oct. And he missed these warning signs of turbo charger failure. This is my first car with a turbo charger - did a bunch of reading now!)

Thank you in advance.
Cherylw44