VOLVO S40 WARRANTY PROBLEM

2006 Volvo S40 • 90,000 miles

My S-40 has developed a sporadic "whine" at times at idle and always upon deceleration in drive. When I pull the oil dip stick I hear a release of considerable pressure and the "whine" disappears while the dipstick is removed. Any cluse as to what this is? One mechanic recommended replacing the oil trap, he said it was clogged, leading to the increased pressure. Does this sound correct, and if so, can this "clog" be cleaned to avoid replacing the entire oil filter housing assembly?

The oil trap box has an internal vacuum leak. The box should be covered under the 10 year/150k miles emissions warranty but you need to call Volvo to verify these or check your warranty manual. If you have already paid for repairs and the oil trap box is covered, send proof of repairs to Volvo of North America for reimbursement. Hope these helps you out and good luck to you.

JIS001