MY WON'T START. IS THIS A STARTER PROBLEM OR SOMETHING ELSE?

2006 Toyota Sienna

When ignition is switched to start, there is a whirring noise and the engine won't start. It started earlier, but as I was driving, you could hear the whirring sound. I shut off the car to put gas. When I started up again, it didn't turn all the way the first time, so I did it again and it wouldn't start. The noise sounds like the noise you would hear if you were to turn the ignition again when the engine is already running.
Kola671

It sounds like the starter motor bendix drive has broken. You may need to replace the starter motor. Have it checked to verify

I had the starter checked and they say it is still good. It seems that the gear that pops out to start the flywheel isn't coming out far enough to catch onto the flywheel. Would you recommend just replacing the entire starter or replacing the starter bendix? What would be easier to do?

Kola671