DOME LIGHT DEAD AFTER REPLACE HID BULB

2006 Toyota Sienna • 6 cylinder AWD Automatic • 45,000 miles

Hi,

I have a 2006 Sienna XLE Limited AWD.
I just replace interior dome light bulbs with HID light bulbs. After a couple of time, it quit. All of the interior dome light is dead. The fuse box at the front engine compartment are ok.

Is there another fuse / relay somewhere else?

Thank you
Cupertino

The other locations to find fuse/relay boxes; Under dash near drivers kick panel, (Near left foot).
At the end of the dash on drivers' side.
Under the glove box. Sometimes this requires glove box to be removed.

I am replacing the Dome light with LED lights not HID lights.

Yes, there seem to be a fuse box below driver's kick panel, but its not labeled in a very clear manor.

Which one is for interior Dome lights?

Cupertino
Since it is LED, the dimmer switch will need to be in the brightest light position for the LED to work correctly. Depending on the manufacturer, some LED replacement lights will have a circuit that will work with a dimmer switch but most do not. If the dimmer switch is not on, "Full Bright" setting, the LED will either blink or not work at all.

The diagram for fuse boxes is very confusing. They are oriented as if you have the cover on and are looking from the point of view from the fuses out. It is very hard to even orient the diagram. I still have to think it out. The best way to do this is to orient the fuse puller and spare fuses on the diagram and then look for the same amperage fuses on the diagram. 10 amp fuses are red, 15 amp fuses are blue and 20 amp fuses are yellow.
As far as which fuse is for the dome light, there should be a fuse labeled, "interior" or "courtesy" lights. It might not even be that clear as to which fuse is for the dome light. More than likely, it will be a 10 or 15 amp fuse. So, if you can't figure out the fuse from the diagram, you are going to have to pull and inspect fuses for the blown fuse.
There should be a fuse puller on the fuse box that looks like a pair of tweezers. You might note that most fuse box diagrams have the puller on the diagram and you can use that to orient the diagram with the fuses.
A fuse, when pulled out, will have an, "Element View" where you can see if the fuse element has been burnt and is no longer a continuous piece. Hold the fuse up to a light and look in the middle. You will see that the fuse has an element that is, "zig zagged" or shaped depending on the fuse. It will be broken or missing part of this piece so that it does not make contact with the 2 fuse blades. So, a good fuse will have a continuous element and a blown one will be missing a section.
So, you are looking for a 10 amp, which is red, or a 15 amp fuse, which is blue, that is blown. With the ignition off, use the puller to grab the fuse and pull it out. Inspect the element and replace the blown fuse. Turn the Dimmer switch all the way up and the LED should work. Double check the connection for the LED because they usually have an adapter that fits in the socket and the is connected to the LED.
If you have to go to that Auto Parts store for fuses, I would recommend getting what is called a, Smart Fuse". It is a fuse that lights up when it is blown. I use them as it is so much easier than figuring out which fuse is blown. They are so bright that it also gives you light to work by when you replace it. They cost a little more, but they are worth it. The name brand can differ, but I use ones manufactured by, "Smart Fuse". If you can't find them, just ask for fuses the light up when they are blown.
So, I get confused to when figuring out fuses, that is why they are worth it to me.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I know about the fuse in the engine bay. Attached picture shows that it is still good.

Battery -> Fuse Box -> Dome Light switch -> Dome Light.
Where does the wire/power go between the fuse box and the switch?

Cupertino
More pictures, the first one shows the engine bay fuse box layout.
The 2nd picture is from the driver side kick panel, I have hard time take a more clear picture, hope you can make out what it means.

Cupertino
I don't have a wiring diagram for your vehicle. I will try to find some one that does have one. Then I will hand this post off to them and they will get back with you.

You can always go to your local auto parts store and pick up the a Haynes manual. Generally large chains like; Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys etc. Are most likely to have them. They have pretty good wiring diagrams.

I will do my best to get your wiring diagram and give it to you ASAP. If

http://carservicemanuals.blogspot.com/2010/05/toyota-sienna-2004-2007-service-manual.html
has the interior lighting wiring diagram for Sienna.
I dont know how to read it, could you please tell me what to check next ?

Cupertino
Attached are the wiring schematics.

Are the ignition key cylinder, vanity lights, luggage compartment lights working? They are all linked to the dome light and uses the same fuse, which is the only one indicated in your previous post. If they are working, then you would have to recheck the light that you installed, it could be faulty.

Check the dome cut relay which is operated by the the interior light switch, ie the dome light switch.

The ignition key cylinder, vanity lights, luggage compartment lights are not working.

Cupertino
Get a test lamp or DVOM and at Dome fuse, test for battery voltage at both ends of the fuse.

At dome light test for battery voltage at the Red wire. If voltage is avaiable, ground the Red/White wire and if all lights comes on, check the dome cut relay operations, Ground the Green wire and check if the lights come on.

Ensure the interior light switch is not turned off. The dome cut relay requires the switch to be in ON or Door position for all other lights to work.

Page 1 of 2