YELLOW SLUDGE LIKE OIL IN MY WATER BOTTLE . THERMOSTAT

2006 Renault Megane • 106,000 miles

When I took the car to Renault, they told me that my thermostat seal needs to be replaced because that is causing the oil to get into the water bottle, please advise if this is correct.
Previn

There are a few possibilities; The fluid in overflow could be engine oil and the head gasket is bad. Check Engine oil for a white, milky substance which would further confirm this diagnosis.

The transmission cooler is leaking. It is integrated into radiator and can leak a red or light red fluid into the anti-freeze. Transmission fluid would have red, milky fluid in it if this is the case.

Ok, so there is no milky substance in the engine oil, will I have to change the thermostat housing to solve this problem, please advise?

Previn
Hi, there is no milky substance in my engine oil, So will I need to change my Thermostat housing to solve this problem.

Previn
The thermostat is isolated in the cooling system. It runs around 15 PSI while oil pressure runs around 60-80PSI. So it takes a heavily torqued gasket to seal out the oil from the thermostat.
The thermostat gasket is just to keep anti-freeze from leaking out of engine.
In the head and water jacket passages of the engine, are areas where the 2 fluid circuits come close to each other. If a head gasket fails near the oil circuti it tends to either leak into the anti-freeze circuit, which can over-pressurize it and you may notice extra coolant in the overflow, or in the cylinder where it will make the exhasut have a burnt oil smell. If the Anti-freeze circuit leaks it leaks down into the oil pan by way of return passages that are under residual pressure.
If anti-freeze gets in the cylinder the exhaust smells sweet like anti-freeze and is generally white.
So, I think from what you are desribing, and the reason I mention the above, is that the only way to have cross contamination is to have a crack in the engine block or to have a bad head gasket. The thermostat seal has nothing to do with sealing either fluid circuit from each other.