FUEL SMELL

2006 Pontiac G6 • 6 cylinder Automatic • 89,000 miles

I have an 06 G6 GTP. Recently we started smelling gas after we drove the car. Now I can smell it inside the car while driving. The car is also having trouble starting, but if I give it a little "gas" it will crank up. Please help me figure out what's wrong.
SG6owner

The first thing we need to do is figure out if the smell coming from the back of the car or the front of the car?

It's coming from the back. We can smell it when you are standing behind the car.

SG6owner
It's coming from the back. The smell is strong when we open the trunk.

SG6owner
Alright now you will have to look under the rear of the car for leaking fuel or old fuel drip trails.

We have looked and do not see any signs of leaking fuel.

SG6owner
Have you looked while its running?If you cant find anything then you will have to drop the gas tank down it could be leaking around thr fuel pump seal or right off the fuel pump.

No, have not looked while the car is running.

SG6owner
I would look while its running under pressure just becareful with the leaking fuel.

My husband did look the other day and did not see anything. There was only a 1/4 tank of gas in it (don't know if that matters or not). We did have the Evap Valve (I think that was the name of it) replaced recently.

SG6owner
Was the valve by the gas tank or under the hood that was replaced?Also it could depend on the fuel tank level depending on if it leaks or not.I have had cars that would only leak at 3/4 of a tank or more because the fuel tank oring was leaking. It all really depends where and why its leaking.