DO I REALLY NEED TO FLUSH ALL OF THESE FLUIDS?

2006 Mercury Mountaineer • 62,000 miles

Ford dealership says I need a brake flush, transmission flush, power steering flush, injection flush I don't remember ever having to do all this. Is this something new, or should I have been doing it with all the other vehicles I have owned in the past 40 years.
Winter48

Yes, you should have been doing them on your other vehicles. They are necessary maintenance to prevent other problems. There are reasons for all of those things.

Wrenchtech
No, these fluids always needed to be serviced. Most people opted not to change them and had caliper, wheel cylinder failures and wondered why they failed. All fluids have time and mileage limits and need to be serviced in order to give you good reliability.

Brake system flushing is a good idea as brake fluid contaminates easily. It is hygrscopic, which means that it attracts moisture. However, with the age and mileage of the vehicle, I would like to doubt that it is completely necessary at this time. Are you experiencing any braking problems?

Dan_K
The recommended interval for brake flush is every 2 years. You are well over that in this situation. If you are experiencing brake problems, you are already too late.

Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech is absolutely correct. I apologize for any misleading information. A 2-year brake flush interval is a good idea.

Thanks, Wrenchtech, for correcting my mistake.

Dan_K
JUST ME ALWAYS BEING ON THE DIY SIDE OF THINGS (GENERALLY STAYING FAR AWAY FROM THE "DEALER KNOWS BEST" SITUATION)

YES, MANY TIMES I'LL JUMP ON THE OPPOSING SIDE. JUST TO MAKE SOMEONE PROVE THEIR THEORY. MANY FOLKS ARE SCARED TO.I AM NOT!

EXACTLY WHAT SORT OF WONDERFUL THINGS ARE DONE IN A "BRAKE FLUSH" AT THE DEALER. HOW MUCH WOULD THIS COST ON A AVERAGE SEDAN?

EVERY RIG I HAVE IS CONSTANTLY MAINTAINED, AND I DARE SAY, EVERYTHING IS PROBABLY ADJUSTED AND BLED WELL WITHIN PERIODS OF 2 YEARS.

IF/ WHEN FLUID LOOKS CLOUDY, OR WE GET A NEW ADDITION TO MY FLEET, I TAKE AN INFANT'S S. NOT S. UCKER AND EVACUATE THE MASTER CYLINDER AND REFILL WITH DOT 4, THEN BLEED EVERYTHING UNTIL IT'S CLEAR.

I CAN "MAYBE" SEE THE POSSIBILITY OF REMOVING AND DRAINING A LARGE CAPACITY FIXTURE, LIKE A BRAKE CALIPER, THAT MAY NOT FULLY GET PURGED OF ALL OF THE OLD FLUID.

BUT ON THE REALISTIC SIDE, I SAW THE INITIAL OIL CHANGE, OF A BRAND NEW CAR, CONSIST OF WIPING THE FILTER CLEAN, AND INSURING IT WAS FULL, THE FINAL TOUCH.I LIKED SO WELL, WAS "SPILLING" A BIT OF OIL AT THE FILL CAP. THIS WAS AT A C."DEALER", AS I REPAIRED A WATER LINE!

SEEN DIFFERENTIAL JUICE CHANGED IN A VERY SIMILAR MANNER AT A J."LUBE"

I DO HAVE MORE "LAZINESS/ DON'T CARE/ MONEY MAKING SCHEME" STORIES!

I'D REALLY LIKE TO KNOW THE PROMISED "INVOLVEMENT" OF THE "FLUSH" PROCESS.

I WOULD DAB A SMALL GLOB OF GREASE ON THE/ IN THE BOLT HEADS ON THE THINGS "PROMISED TO BE BOTHERED" TO INSURE A WRENCH DID GET PUT ON IT, WHEN I DO MY PERSONAL INSPECTION, UPON THEIR COMPLETION. YEAH, THIS METHOD WORKS WELL IN OTHER STUFF TOO. HOW DO YOU THINK I COMPILE MY "LAZY/ CHEATER PEOPLE" INFO?

I'LL STILL HANG WITH MY UNDER $10, AND ABOUT AN HOUR OF MY TIME. TOPS

MY/ AND OTHER'S DIY METHODS HAVE WORKED WELL FOR MANY YEARS. UNLESS YA'LL CAN CONVINCE ME THAT MAYBE LATER, ME "POSSIBLY" REPLACING A $40 CALIPER WOULD BE CHEAPER?

I KNOW EVERYBODY AIN'T THAT WAY, BUT YOU'D BE SURPRISED!

NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE COME HERE WANTING TO KNOW THAT THEIR ONLY OPTION IS THE DEALER. THEY WANNA KNOW HOW "THEY" CAN MAKE IT ALL BETTER AND SAVE $$$?

Medic, If you don't understand the technology behind things, I think you should start a new question of your own instead of hijacking muddying up the customer's question.

Wrenchtech
NOT A QUESTION!

HELPING IS THE NAME OF THE GAME

BEING MISLED HELPS NO ONE.

I WAS ONLY ADDRESSING THE BRAKE ISSUE.

I UNDERSTAND TRANSMISSION FLUSHING

LAST TIME ONE OF MY RIGS WAS IN THE SHOP WAS FOR A AUTOMATIC TRANNY REBUILD (NOT LONG AGO)

BEFORE THAT?---1987! YES, I DO ALL OF THE REST.I DON'T WALK!--IMMA PLUMBER. PULLIN' WRENCHES SINCE '79, MY 1ST JEEP IN '81, WHEN I BEGAN DRIVING!

I REALLY TRY TO STAY OFF OF OTHERS ANSWERING---BUT SOME THINGS I JUST GOTTA HEAR FOR MYSELF

I'D HATE TO BE THE ONE BEING SORTA MISLED

LIKE I SAID, I AIN'T SCARED TO VOICE MY OPINION

NOW THEY HAVE SEVERAL TO PONDER, BEFORE THEY SPEND THEIR HARD EARNED $$$

NONE OF US CAN FORCE WHAT THEY DO, I'M NOT TRYING TO BE DIFFICULT, IF THEY DON'T WANNA KNOW, I STILL DO!

SPECIFICS OF WHAT'S INVOLVED FOR THE BRAKE FLUSH PROCEDURE---PROJECTED COST?

I'LL STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE, UNLESS I'M REQUESTED BACK. NO NEED FOR THE BUNCHED. NEVER MIND

If the customer has a question, he will ask it. If you have a question, you should ask it elsewhere.

Wrenchtech
As far as flushing components, everything is flushed anymore, transmissions, power steering systems, brake systems, radiators. And no, years ago people didn't do it. They also never changed their oil at 3K miles like people do today. Hence, years ago, if a car had 100K on it, the engine was basically done. Today, we get 200K+ from them. As far as having it done, that is a good question. I do it to my vehicles, but many don't and seem to have the same problems I do. The brake system is a sealed unit. However, brake fluid, as mentioned before, does collect moisture if the system is open and can get dirty over the years. Should it be flushed? If it appears dirty, I would recommend it. However, like CJ mentioned, does the cost offset the benefits? Some shops want an arm and leg for such services.

In my mind, I am trying to say that all these guys are correct so you are not confused.