4.0 ! ENGINE JUST SHUT DOWN AFTER A LONG TRIP WAS RUNNING FINE ! RESATRTED IN AFTER 5 CRANKS AND OIL PRESSURE WAS AT BOTTOM NOT BOUNCING ! REMOVED OIL FILTER AND STARTED ENGINE NO OIL CAME OUT THE FILTER WHILE RUNNING ! INSTALLED A NEW

2006 Jeep Wrangler • 78,000 miles

No oil coming into filter even after a new oil pump ! No oil pressure
Peopleskillz

You may have to prime the pump, if it is to hard to access now that it is installed, remove the filter and fill with oil, use an oil can squirt oil down the supply line and remove the pressure switch and do the same, this can often be enough to get oil down into the pump and prime it.

Mhpautos
I primed the oil filter and cranked it without starting but also I brought the old oil pump in the house and out it in oil and turned the pump and the old pump pumped oil from the bottom to the top does this mean by oil pump shaft is broke how can I tell I think the old pump is fine

Peopleskillz
I will investigate further an let you know.

Mhpautos
Thank you so much ! 78000 thousand miles and I think my jeep is a dud and made on a friday ! Already have to new pump in and the oil pan up but I waited to put back the converter to make sure it was fixed ! If it is the oil pump gear or shaft I could use a idea on how to check it and how to fix it

Peopleskillz
The only view I have of the pump is fairly basic, it shows the pump in position in the sump, it does not show the drive, I am thinking that it is a shaft drive, now this sounds like a silly question but is the drive fitted? The only way to see if the shaft is broken is to drop the pump and feel if the shaft is turning with the engine, did the drive come out with the old pump?I do think that you will have to go back in to the sump and physcially re check the drive.

Mhpautos
The old oil pump had no wear on the shaft going into the engine and the new pump can only go into the engine one way as it has a space in the middle of it to meet the gear shaft ! If is the shaft that goes to the pump what steps do I take to fix it

Peopleskillz