HOW DO I REGAIN POWER ON MY NKR

2006 Isuzu NPR • 142,000 miles

Hi, I own a 2006 euro 3 isuzu nkr turbo intercooler 3.0 truck. When cruising over 50mph and over 2000rpm the "engine check" light comes on and I lose power. Once the engine drops below 2000rpm and whilst under 50mph the light goes out and I again regain power. Note: the engine does not cut out, the engine does not respond to the accelerator. If I press clutch pedal and accelerate the engine revs up may go up to 4 thousand rpm. The fault analyzer showed code P0216 code and so far I have changed fuel filter. Ample fuel is delivered at injector pump and the tiny filter on the inlet located at injector pump is clean, I have further placed clips on all fuel hose lines. I have also noticed that when I drive erratic I can get the vehicle to a very high speed however when I cruise at that speed or keep that speed the "check engine" light comes on again and I lose power. Please help.
Andy M

Did your scanner give you a code description for this code?

Billymac
Hi, the code given to me was P0216 of which when I looked up stated "Injection Timing Control Circuit Malfunction" thats all I know at present and I am stuck. Andy

Andy M
Refer to this link for more information on P0216: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0216

Thanks for that, its true I get hard starting and the heater plugs are fine, I believe the engine rattles as I accelerate away which gives me the impression that the timing may be out. How is the timing checked/set on this vehicle?

Andy M
Just to bring you all up to date. A friend mechanic suggested that it is possibly the seal on the front of the injector pump. We replaced it, started up and travelled for 400 meters and the engine cut out completely. I proceeded to locate the problem suspecting the injector pump. One kind gentleman in Lancanshire named Colin who sells isuzu second hand parts stated that it could be the idler gear bearing as he has had a similar problem in the past. I stripped the engine front down and saw that it was in fact what he suggested. I am now looking for the injector pump gear and the idler gear which comes with the bearing. Can anyone help me with locating these parts for a 4JH1-tc engine I believe its the same engine used on the D-Max. Thanks

Andy M
Finally managed to get a second hand idler gear with bearing, I put everything together but the vehicle would not start. When taking the gear off the injector pump shaft there was no key to relocate the gear back on the exact position. The shaft and gear is tapered. Luckily my friend the mechanic had marked it before taking it off. Once it was back on, the vehicle started first time, but I feel the timing is still not exactly on the spot. Anyway I drove the vehicle down the road and once the engine revs were above 2,000 and constant the engine check light came on again. I believe that it was coincidental that I discovered the idler gear bearing worn something that would have caused me a lot of damage. I now need to connect the analyzer to read the code. I need to check the crankshaft sensor and the transfer pump. Has anybody got any advice? I havent checked the egr as I can go well over the 3000rpm and travel well over the speed limit when driving harsh. However I will check that when I do the easy checks first.

Andy M