FUSE BOX OR ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

2006 Hummer H3 • 100,000 miles

Rear left and right turn signal do not flash, changed bulbs and still do not work. Changed fuse ( used the spare fuses already in the fuse box) and they worked for a few minutes of testing, but today they are out again. The same thing with radio, it plays, but the speakers are out. Changed the fuse there as well and one speaker kicked in, but again, this morning, back to radio without output from radio. My blower motor is out as well, I pulled the glovebox and did not see any melted connectors. Too nervous to pull the fuses for the blower, and I can't tell if they are blown from just looking at them. Last year while driving in heavy rain, I came to a stop and water streamed down the driver side front windshield on the interior of the car. The onstar system voice came on (no subscription) but stopped on its own. Since then all the other issues started. The radio speakers will kick in for a day or two, then stop after a heavy rain. Could a leak be at the root of all these problems? Or could it be electrical, as in the wiring, or could the fusebox be the cause? Please help, I love this car, but I would hope to know what to look for BEFORE I take it in, can't afford to pay out the nose for a mechanic to search for the source of the problems. Thanks!
Kpmay

I have attached some schematics for the affected systems. Do you have the standard or one of the premium sound systems?

Rivermikerat
It's the standard sound system, I bought it used in '08. I believe everything is standard. I've made no additions.

Kpmay
Ok. Here's the schematic for the base radio circuit. See if power is getting to the bulb pigtail. If not, trace out why and fix it.

It definitely sounds like a leak might be causing this nightmare.

Rivermikerat
Thanks so much, I can't wait to get started. My neighbors (the guys) get a kick outta seeing a girl under the hood of a hummer! But I'm determined to figure this out. I think the leak is coming from the side molding that frames the front windshield. I'll keep you posted.

Kpmay
Ok. We'll be here. I think a woman working on her vehicle is awesome.

Rivermikerat
Hello there! I bought a fuse tester + fuses, went to work on the tail light issue. Turns out the fuse (#20) for the tail light was blown. I replaced it. The left turn signal worked, right one did'nt. Next day, the left turn signal was not working again. I pulled the lens cover off the right turn signal and found the problem. The socket is burned out. It's blowing the fuse which of course is causing both turn signals to go out. The wires going into the socket are melted slightly, which I didn't notice before. Found a socket at auto parts store ($7.99) question: the new socket looks just like mine, but it looks like I have to cut the old socket away and strip the wires a bit and put them inside. GM has a tail light harness kit that requires me to pull the whole thing (starting with the wiring at the base where it comes out of the car, and both sockets for the the brake/turn signal and the reverse lamp) is this really neccessary, or would replacing just the burnt socket as safe and reliable? Thanks again for your insight!

Kpmay
You should only need to replace the burnt socket.

Rivermikerat
Hey there! So, the tail light harness is all one piece. I just picked up the part from the dealer. I pulled the rubber stopper and the wires come so far out and stop. There's a place where I am supposed to unplug the harness and plug in the new one, but the plug (which I can see from the hole) won't budge. Do I need to remove the interior panel or just pull until it comes out? I really don't want to jack this up! I' ll try to attach photos.

Kpmay
This is the current harness still attached inside.

Kpmay
This is the new one, it has a clip similar to a phone jack and its supposed to attach inside. I can't see a place on the interior where I can remove a panel to get to it. I think its supposed to be pulled out?

Kpmay