WHAT IS CAUSING THIS NOISE FROM FLEXPLATE/ TORQUE CONVERTER AREA?

2006 Honda Accord • 140,000 miles

I have a 2006 Honda Civic that I purchased with a blown head gasket, being that it was higher mileage car I replaced it with a used low mileage engine. The torque converter was still attached to the used engine so I used it instead of my old one. Now, after reaching operating temperature it starts to make a chirping / squeaking noise from the flexplate/ TC area. Car shifts fine though and doesn't make noise til engine is warm. Since it doesn't do it all the time I don't think it can be anything rubbing , right? I've checked all the TC bolts and fluid level.

I pulled transmission back out to check for cracked flexplate, but looked fine. Now I'm not sure what needs to be replaced.

Here is a video of the noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG_LwQbCm-g&feature=plcp
Blakeveatch

This is a Civic, sorry. I accidentally clicked Accord when posting the question.

Blakeveatch
It does sounds like something is hitting a moving part.

The plate behind the flex plate? The bottom plate at the bottom of the bell housing? Double check for any rub marks

I agree. I just went and triple checked everything. I can find anything that looks like its been rubbed. Checked both sides of TC, flexplate, engine block, bell housing, and starter. I could only find one grooved area on flexplate side of TC but its the same on the other TC as well so I believe that's the way its made.

Previous owner (dealer) told me had just changed the ATF, I'm wondering if it had been making this noise from transmission and tried changing fluid to fix. Since I bought it knowing HG was blown I never had it up to operating temperature to know if this sound was present before I replaced engine and torque converter.

Blakeveatch
One other thought, the starter motor. Make sure the nose is not rubbing anywhere.

Are the motors exactly the same year?

Did you confirm that the torque converter that came with the engine is an exact fit for your transmission?

Try loosening the TC bolts to allow the TC to move back slightly and evenly using the bilts to pull it back towards flex plate to allow it to self centralise.

The bolts have to be tightened evenly. Was the flex plate removed prior to installation? One more thing to check would be the side thrust of the crankshaft.
Btw does the noise goes away when gears are engaged?

Update: Reinstalled transmission with original torque converter instead, noise is still present.

I did figure out how to make the noise stop though! If I unscrew the oil cap, lots of air comes out and the noise goes away. Too much crankcase pressure. I swapped out the PCV valve off other engine but didn't fix it. Any ideas on what else could be causing this pressure?

Blakeveatch
If unplugging the PCV from valve cover stops the noise, check the hose for clogging.

I've checked all the hoses that look vacuum related and blew through them. Possibly EGR?

Blakeveatch
EGR would cause engine stutter if it is not functioning correctly.

You should be looking for hoses that are related to positive crankcase ventilations (PCV).
Did you check the PCV hose to the manifold for clogging?
Does unplugging PCV from its position with engine running have same noise problem?