FORD EXPLORER BATTERY PROBLEM

2006 Ford Explorer • 85,000 miles

Hello. I have a 2006 ford explorer and the last couple of weeks it has been having problems with dead batteries. It started out that it would be dead and then you would try again in 5 minutes and it would start like normal. I only had to jump it once. The other times just wait a few minutes and it would start. I tried cleaning and tightening the battery terminals and found that the ground connection was heavily corroded. I cleaned them up and reconnected and it seemed okay for a couple days. Then it started again. I took the truck to autozone since it has a duralast battery that is only 18 months old and they basically check the charging system with a hand held device and said that it was fine so it must be the battery. They gave me a new battery and my wife has been using the car normally for about a week now. All of a sudden today, it died while she was driving and the air bag light came on. Her brother disconnected the negative terminal and reconnected it and it started up fine. My first thought is that the ground cable or where it connects to the chasis may be the problem but why would it die all of a sudden like that? Need help. The wife wants to use my truck.

Thanks,

Tony

The battery voltage at the battery needs to be checked with the engine running. We need that voltage.

I am not at the car right now but when I checked it the other night I remember that it was at 13.8 volts while running and right after jump starting it. What should it be charging at?

Thanks.
Tony

Tonybicek
14 to 14.5 volts.

I will check it again tonight and let you know. Now that you said 14 I am thinking it was 14.1. If it is above 14, what else can I try? I want to work on it tonight.

Tonybicek
It was 14.23 when I first started the engine then went down to 14.13 and stayed there.

Tonybicek
Do you know how to do voltage drop testes?

Im not sure. I can use a multimeter very well. Just tell me what to connect where in a step by step kind of way and I will understand it.
Thanks.

Tony

Tonybicek