IF I HAVE THREE WIRES GOING TO A LOAD, AM I CORRECT IN ASSUMING THAT ONE OF THE WIRES SHOULD BE HOT?

2006 Chevrolet Impala • 44,000 miles

A friend of mine dome light stop working and she wanted to know why, so I checked the fuse and the lights and they were good. I then checked the wires to see if there was voltage reaching them. I used my equus smart test light/circuit tester and all wires tested as being grounded(green light - ground present, red light - voltage). Help, I thought this was going to be simple to fix! It only have three wires, am I correct in assuming that one of them should be hot?
Usa007

1 post is enough as we all see the question s and answers.

Did you check the bulb>>> does it have a switch on the dome to manually turn it on? Does it work?

Sorry about that. I checked the switch and it's working. But I was was wondering why none of the wires are hot.

Usa007
When a circuit is complete, the voltage takes the path of least resistance and you will see no voltage till the switch is ungrounded. Then you will see supply voltage.

So there is a short to ground somewhere in the circuit?

Usa007
No, what is the exact issue that you have?
Short to ground would blow a fuse.

The problem that I have is that the dome light isn't working, there's no voltage at any of the three wires, the fuse and switch is good and I'm not sure where to check next.

Usa007
Ok, just one door or all doors?

How did you test the switch?